User Management>Tracking User Progress
This is not a common issue but, if you have a lot of learners, a small percentage may encounter course completion issues—and they will contact you!
Common explanations of course completion issues
- Unstable/interrupted internet connection: While a user is taking a course, they must be use a stable (wired) and uninterrupted internet connection. A course could appear to be connected on the front end, but if connectivity is lost even for a second, the course will no longer be able to transmit any of the completion information back to the LMS. We advise that learners avoid using mobile hotspots for this reason.
- Browser is not supported: Make sure the learner is using Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Edge.
- Page refresh: If a user refreshes the course page—either intentionally or unintentionally—the course will lose its connection to the LMS and the score will not be transmitted. Unintentional page refreshes can be triggered by third-party ad blocking software and security software.
- SCORM compatibility: Online courses must be 100% SCORM compatible to function properly in the LMS.
- Completion requirements not met: Learners might believe that they have completed the course but have not actually met the completion requirements specified in the course. For example, the course may require that all pages are viewed and the learner passed the test but skipped pages during the process.
To troubleshoot course completion issues
Follow these steps (in this order) to troubleshoot course completion issues.
- Verify that there is not an issue with the learner. Have they met the course completion criteria? Are they confusing the course with another course with a similar name?
- Verify that there is not an issue with the learner's environment. Are they using a supported browser? Do they have a good internet connection? (Run a speed test such as www.speedtest.net.) Are they behind a restrictive firewall (bank or military)?
- Verify there is not an issue with the course. Are other learners experiencing issues with the course? If you pass the course, does it show on your transcript?
- If the above steps don't resolve the issue, contact us and we can conduct or help you with more sophisticated troubleshooting.
If a user believes they completed a course, but this is not accurately reflected on their transcript, you may use the “Mark Users Complete” feature under the courses menu.
This article is also included in Common Questions