Overview & Objective
In this guide, we will cover how to send Learner LMS Notification(s) directly to MS Teams channel(s) using automation. Let's get started!
Setting Up Microsoft Teams
In this section, we will cover how to set up a team and channel from scratch. If you are sending LMS Notifications to existing team channels, skip to step 5 below.
- Start by signing into your MS Teams via the MS Teams app or MS Teams web browser app
- To create a new team, navigate to the Teams tab/view, navigate to the bottom of the page and select Join or create a team, on the next page select Create a team
- On the pop out settings window, select From Scratch or From a group or team, select Private or Public, give your team a Name (must be unique), and click Create
- To create a new channel within your new team, click the team "..." icon, select Add channel, give your channel a Name (must be unique), choose Privacy settings, and click Add
- Once the new channel is created, click the channel "..." icon, select Get email address, and copy the channel Email Address (you will need this later)
At this point, your teams and channels should be configured correctly and look similar to this example:
Setting Up Microsoft Outlook
In this section, we will cover how to set up your Outlook email forwarding rules (mirror these steps for other email providers who support email forwarding).
- Start by signing into your MS Outlook app or MS Outlook web browser app (recommended)
- To configure Outlook email forwarding rules, navigate to your Outlook options/settings, select Rules, click +Add new rule
- To configure your new rule, first Name your rule (any name will do), Add a condition > From > firstname.lastname@example.org, Add an action> Forward to > paste your MS Teams channel Email Address (see step 5 above), and click Save
At this point your Outlook forwarding should be configured correctly and look similar to this example:
In this guide, we covered setting up LMS Notifications via Outlook to a single MS Teams channel. If using a non-Outlook email provider that supports email forwarding, these steps should also apply.